Tuesday, May 19, 2015

what's not to like?

COLORADO SPRINGS NEWS, SPORTS & BUSINESS

Gazette Premium Content Blog: I got rolfed and liked it

By Jen Mulson •  Updated: May 19, 2015 at 11:17 am •  0
The first time I heard about rolfing was from my brother. He got rolfed for years due to multiple injuries in his body, including his shoulder and low back, which turned out to be massive scar tissue in his psoas from a weightlifting injury in college.
He always spoke highly about it. In fact, he said it healed his lower back and the psoas. So when the opportunity presented itself to talk to some local rolfers and write about it, I jumped at the chance.
My first 90-minute session was with Feryl Webster, a certified rolfer. Holy wow. It wasn't a massage, though when I've tried to describe it to people, they say, "Oh, a massage." Except not a massage, I'm telling you, people.
Webster worked on me from the ground up, starting with the large bunion on my right foot. She used her hands, fingers, thumbs and elbows to press down into my skin and into the fascia lurking underneath. Fascia is a continuous, fibrous tissue that holds everything together. Rolfing seeks to break up the fascia to allow a resetting of alignment patterns, improved movement, posture and ease in the body. 
I can't lie to you -- some of the spots where she applied pressure hurt. But Webster encouraged me to breathe down into it and if it was too much, she released back out a layer or two until it was doable. 
When I rolled off the table and looked at my feet, there was a noticeable difference. And when I left and came back to work, I felt like a million bucks. Yes, I would definitely get rolfed again, though I would't necessarily look forward to it like I might a gentle massage. 
Look for the full story on June 9 in the health and wellness section. If you're interested in meeting Webster and other local rolfers and getting more information straight from the rolfer's mouth, there are two events coming up:
What: Meet local rolfers, including Feryl Webster and Dixie M. Frank, at Q&A events
When and where: 6:30-8 p.m. Friday, June 12, Precision Fitness, 5612 N. Union Blvd.; 6:30-8 p.m. July 16, Movement Arts Community Center, 525 E. Fountain Blvd., Suite 150
Cost: Free; 310-3688

No comments:

Post a Comment